Membership at Emmanuel Lutheran
God calls each of us in a unique way to spread the good word about God’s Grace. We invite you to worship with us and learn about our services, our mission and programs.
At Emmanuel Lutheran, the Membership Committee takes responsibility for welcoming God’s people and involving them in the programs of our church. It also is our responsibility to reach out to our current members and keep them aware of the programs and fellowship available to them. If you are interested in joining Emmanuel or are a current member with questions about our programs, you can call the Church Office at 301-365-5733 and ask that the Pastor or a member of the Membership Committee give you a call.
New Members are welcome at all times and are brought into membership as soon as they express an interest in joining or transferring. If you attend one of our services and are interested in becoming a member, please ask someone about membership information!
- Members joining are matched with a current member (sponsor) to help them get acquainted if they are interested having a sponsor.
- New Members are welcomed at a special luncheon or dinner and are briefed on the programs, committees and administration of the church which is governed by the church council.
- Members are informed about the Outreach Committee’s efforts with Manna Food Bank, the Community Based Shelter, Gifts of Hope, Lutheran Social Services and many more volunteer projects our members work on in Montgomery County, the Washington DC Metropolitan Community, the nation and the world.
- Members are welcomed at our Educational Programs including Sunday School for all ages between the services on Sunday mornings as well as an adult bible study on Wednesday mornings each week and an Adult Book Club Discussion and Dinner every Wednesday evening. An adult forum on issues of our time is also offered on Sunday mornings.
- Meditation is available on Thursday mornings now and an additional class is being considered due to demand.
- Members are encouraged to enjoy our Fellowship Programs including coffee hours, special events such as Oktoberfest and St. Lucia Pageant & Scandinavian Coffee Hour, our Dinner Club in which 70 members participate in Potluck Dinners in members’ homes and our Katie’s Ladies for the Women and the Martin Luther Beer and Marching Band Society for the men.
- In addition, our Youth and Family Events offer opportunities for our young people to better get to know one another.